Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday April 9, 2007 at 15:01
PaulH2
Long Time Member
April 2007
Hi all,

I took the plunge and got myself an RC9800i a few days ago and have to say, so far, I am not impressed.

Of all my remotes, I think it recognised just one, I had to program the rest myself (not too good as it is mostly pretty common equipment).

That is not the biggest issue though, my main problem is that the remote refuses to connect to my wireless LAN. My normal setup is 801.11 g, but I set the router to b+g mode. I normally don't broadcast the SSID and use WPA security settings.

Tried this with the remote, nothing. Turned on SSID, the remote sees the network fine, still won't connect (it sits there for a few seconds saying it is connecting, goes back to the status screen, but the connection status is always "Not Connected").

Tried the router in b only mode, tried WEP security, even no security, same thing whatever I try.

Several other devices connect to the wireless LAN just fine (a PC, laptop and PDA), but the RC9800i just refuses. No error messages, just a "not connected" status and all grey bars on the signal meter.

I've tried Philips (not very good) support pages but found nothing helpful. Several of the FAQ answers say "If needed use the I can not connect to my WiFi network.-troubleshooting.", but I can't find that anywhere (in the manual or online).

Has anybody else had this problem or does anybody have any suggestions? The remote seems to be working OK other than this, and I was able to upgrade to the latest firmware (it wouldn't connect to the WiFi before or after the upgrade), it just won't talk to the wireless LAN, i.e. some of its more useful features are totally useless.

I'd appeciate any suggestions!

Paul

PS My wireless router is a Netgear WPN824

Hosting Services by ipHouse