The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday February 8, 2003 at 11:47
Eric Shapiro
Founding Member
May 2001
I just got my new TSU3000, and after spending a frustrating three evenings attempting to connect this device to my computer and after reading the other connection thread in this forum, I've decided to give up!

It shouldn't be this hard! If my specific Win 98 computer just doesn't want to see this new Pronto, I guess my choices are to try another operating system, buy a new computer, or return the Pronto.

I've decided to return the TSU3000, and here's why:
-First and most important...I'm not willing to put up with the non-connection frustration.

-The build quality of this remote is terrible...certainly inferior to my original TS1000. The plastic seems flimsy by comparison.

-There is very poor tactile feel for the volume & channel up/down buttons. Also the backlighting for these buttons is very poor--there is more light bleeding from around the buttons than there is coming through the translucent symbols on the buttons. The same is true for the hard buttons beneath the screen and on the cursor.

-Response time is SLOOOOOWWW!! The amount of time it takes to jump between pages-even with all animation off--is much, much too long. Also, IR transmit speed is very poor. It's impossible to enter the three digit channel numbers for DirecTV without taking long pauses between presses. I know that there's a firmware update to address the IR problem, but without a connection there's no update for me. I guess I'll never know if there's any improvement.

-In my opinion, the screen resolution and brightness is at best marginally better than my original Pronto. It's certainly not enough of an improvement to make it a reason to upgrade.

The new hardware & NG software hold great promise in terms of new features. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they look better on paper. Philips has, in my opinion, not lived up to the quality and performance standards we should expect from them.

Eric

Hosting Services by ipHouse