The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday November 26, 2003 at 16:41
Peter Dewildt
Loyal Member
July 2001
If you want to discuss the features of the new TSU 7000 please use the thread entitled TSU 7000 Questions and Answers.

This thread is about the actual beta testing program and how it was conducted.

In mid-September four of us from Remote Central were approached to become beta testers for the new 7000 (also known as the 980 for the international model).

We were given access to a beta testing web site and initially provided with a beta release of Pronto Pro Edit NG (PPENG). There were two bulletin boards - a Bug board and a general Discussion Board. There were also other beta testers mostly custom installers.

The first phase was to give PPENG a real try out - which is what we did.

Over the entire course of the beta testing program 211 threads were posted on the Bug Board - mostly by the four of us. This does not mean that there were 211 bugs - far from it. Many of the entries were suggestions, duplicate entries, very minor cosmetic bugs etc. We scoured Remote Central and found every reported 3000 bug to check to see if they still occurred with the 7000. Some did and were reported.

I would say that all up there were about a dozen significant bug reports. And I'm very pleased to say that they have been fixed. If there are any significant bugs remaining, we didn't find them. There are probably still some minor bugs outstanding but Philips knows abut them. Many suggestions were made which may end up appearing in future versions.

After a couple of weeks testing the software, we received our 7000 (even me in Australia), along with the first updated version of PPENG. It was great to see that many of the reported bugs were fixed. This is where the fun started - working on our own PCFs, migrating from old CCFs, learning codes, downloading, updating, tweaking etc., put up with bugs in PPENG (most of which were eventually fixed).

Then we were informed that some hardware bugs had been discovered which meant replacing a chip in the 7000. The new firmware would not be compatible with the original 7000, so we were sent new final production models of the 7000.

I also managed to get hold of an RF Extender. I just turned it on and it worked first time.

So what does that mean for the 7000?

This is the most thoroughly tested remote that Philips has produced. Even though we encountered problems (which should now all be fixed), we all found both the hardware and the software quite reliable. If you are concerned about the problems with the 3000 – don’t be, they are gone.

I am very proud to have been part of the beta testing program. And I believe that the work that we have put into the 7000 has paid off. This is a fantastic remote and the software and firmware is now most reliable.

The 7000 itself is absolutely fantastic. The color is so brilliant. The graphics that come with the gallery are fantastic and it is so easy to produce a professional looking PCF using the supplied graphics.

If you can afford one, I strongly recommend you buy one.

My 1000 stopped being used weeks ago, and is now well and truly retired. The 7000 rules!

[In case you are wondering – I have to declare a pecuniary interest, we all got to keep the 7000]
Peter
Pronto 1000 (retired), Pronto TSU7000, RFX6000 (retired)
Pronto 2xTSU9600, RFX9400

Hosting Services by ipHouse