The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Monday May 24, 2004 at 12:40
mrbill360
Founding Member
April 2002
OK, once again for clarity. I have a 2.8 ghz homebrew based on an Asus P4T 533-C motherboard. But that's not the point. I have a printer, scanner, digital camera, Sony Clie PDA, USB mouse (D-Link hub for the things not plugged in-and-out, use the spare port on the motherboard (back of PC) for things that are portable.

I have never had one incident of lockup, error, no problem of any kind with any USB device, the Clie synchs up just fine every time, the digital camera has never had a single glitch. I've had this stuff for awhile.

Enter the Philips remotes. Problems. They do work most of the time or I wouldn't have them - but there is always a bit of unwelcome anxiety when uploading or downloading to the remote; will it work? It does, most of the time, but then again, it can - and does - lock up, sometimes an error during the ul/dl process, sometimes a locked up remote itself. The remotes themselves are very stable on their own; it is usually the ul/dl process that causes the remote to go into "reset me or else" mode. One recent favorite was on the TSU-7000 where the remote was left with the hard button backlight, "not too bright" anyway, at half of that brightness. I didn't even notice it, except I went to use the remote and it was non-responsive, then noticed the dim light. Reset did the trick.

I see a lot of apologizing for Philips. Why? Worldwide purveyor of electronics goods; yet the USB interface stability is beyond reach? I don't think it's reasonable to start cutting into Philips NG ownder's PC capabilities... I'd be interested to hear other views - are your other USB devices flaky? Or is it your TSU-X000?

Philips Pronto NG experts tell me, is there something so radically more complex in the USB data transmission that a poor USB implementation by my motherboard manufacturer would create over that of the other USB devices I use with not a hint of a problem? My point is that all roads do not lead to inept PC's - though I see that repeatedly given on this site whenever there is a problem.

Hosting Services by ipHouse