The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday April 20, 2005 at 07:52
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
On 04/19/05 23:55 ET, Thomas Smith said...
b) not use the original remote (which I have),
but instead learn from an equally old OneForAll
remote that DOES have the codeset in its database.

It may be informative to see the Pronto Hex from learning from the original remote, to see how that compares to learning from the OFA.

I assume the OFA correctly controls the TV.

It would help to know which model of old OFA, and especially which setup code.

But wait, I exaggerated - I successfully got it
to learn the "mute" button, so that should provide
some clues as to the protocol involved, yes?

All those samples are fairly clean examples of NEC protocol, device number 4. They are all at higher than the nominal frequency for NEC protocol. I'm not sure whether they're supposed to be at that higher frequency. But mute is slightly higher frequency than the others.

They also all look like they were learned as the same length of short press of the original remote. Most protocols learn better as a long press, so the Pronto can detect the repeat pattern. But if the Pronto does detect the repeat pattern for these, it would probably recognise the whole signal as NEC and store it in the condensed form. Then it would ignore the stored frequency and transmit at the nominal frequency for NEC, which is probably wrong.

But the condensed form is worth trying anyway. Here are your four signals in condensed Pronto Hex:

900A 0065 0000 0001 04FB 0AF5

900A 0065 0000 0001 04FB 08F7

900A 0065 0000 0001 04FB 02FD

900A 0065 0000 0001 04FB 03FC

Regarding the short press issue I mentioned before, what do the vol+ and vol- keys on the original remote and/or the OFA remote do if you hold them pressed a long time? Do they continuosly change the volume? Or do you need a new press for each volume step? If they continuously change the volume, then the Pronto would need the right repeat pattern in order to duplicate that behavior. After we figure out what detail of the difference between mute and the others you posted is reponsible for mute working, we still may need to fix the repeat pattern and disguise the result so ProntoEdit won't recognise and condense it (assuming the condensed version doesn't work).

This message was edited by johnsfine on 04/20/05 08:01 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse