Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Sunday September 25, 2005 at 00:04
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
Fleetz,

Anytime you are having USB problems, it's always helpful to know what OS and Service Pack Level you are running. See, Win98SE did have some USB issues that were fixed with later windows updates. However, it does not support USB 2.0. Also, it helps if you tell us exactly how you are connecting. For example:

1. Is cable connected directly to a USB jack either on the front or back of your PC. Is the USB jack mounted on the motherboard or cabled to the motherboard (you will need to look inside the computer to tell this one unless it's a laptop).

2. Is cable connected directly to the remote or running through the Docking Station? If through the DS, is power connected to the DS?

3. Are you using a USB Hub? If so, what type and is the remote connected through the hub? If so, does connecting directly to the PC solve your problem? If it does, the ProntoTeam will need to know what type of USB Hub and Model # you are using to attempt to reproduce.

So, it's not just as simple as it might seem. Plug and Play only gets you so far. I understand your frustration and I have been very fortunate in that my home-built PC has never had any problems with USB either with Win98SE or with WinXP Pro.

I did, however, have some driver issues with an internal modem when hyperthreading was enabled on my PC. Hence, old modem went into trashcan and new modem was purchased. Hardware is sometimes too cheap these days to spend 15 hours isolating a problem for a $29.95 part. USB hubs are around the same cost so before you buy, you might want to try a different PC (work PC perhaps) to see if it is an OS or hardware issue.
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester

Hosting Services by ipHouse