The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday November 9, 2006 at 13:08
apierre
Long Time Member
October 2006
I have found a way to "adjust" the sensitivity of the TSU7500 pickup sensor (should work on a 7000 as well), and I’m wondering if there’s much interest in how to do it. If there is I will go to the trouble of taking some pictures and documenting what I did. Otherwise here it is in brief:

NOTE: this procedure DOES require opening the case of the remote (just four T-6 TORX screws), but DOES NOT require any soldering or other special skills. It should take about 15 minutes to complete and should pose very little risk of damage to the unit as long as you take reasonable care during the procedure.

The basic fix is to place a magnet of the correct strength against the pickup sensor so that the freedom of the little metal ball inside is attenuated. A weaker magnet provides less attenuation (and retains a higher sensitivity) and a stronger magnet provides more attenuation (and less sensitivity). I found that a magnet from one of those flashing LED pins was just right. Here’s a link to the kind of thing I’m talking about: [Link: glowproducts.com] you can see the two metal disk magnets stuck on the back of the pin (I only used one of the magnets). I attached the magnet in a non-permanent fashion so that I can remove it if I need to send the unit in for warranty work (my TSU7500 is only about four weeks old). You could just glue the magnet right to the pickup sensor if you want to, but you better be sure that you’re happy with the strength of your chosen magnet! If you use a metal type of magnet such as I did, make sure that you wrap it in some electrical tape so that if it should come loose or slip it won’t short out the circuit board (perhaps not a concern if you are gluing the magnet directly on). Also make sure that the battery is detached from the unit as long as the cover is off (for the same reason as above).

So there you are. I take no responsibility for any damages incurred. Attempt at your own risk, etc.

Since making this modification the unit no longer turns on when someone bumps the table etc., but does come on when I pick it up. Just what I want it to do!

Please post a reply if you are interested in a more detailed set of instructions. If I see a lot of interest I will make the effort, but otherwise the basic idea has been given above. Good luck.

Hosting Services by ipHouse