The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Wednesday June 20, 2007 at 03:19
randman
Long Time Member
June 2003
Hmmm.... I already have the TSU7000 and TSU3000 (and a long retired TS1000). I need a new remote for another room. Now, I see that Philips is coming out with new remotes that will replace the TSU7500! So, I'll need to decide if I should:

1. Stick with the TSU7500 for now. It's been around a while (with many firmware updates by now), so it should work well. There would be very little programming for me to do, since I can reuse my TSU7000's PCF (I'll be using the TSU7500 and TSU7000 in different rooms, but I already have the graphics and codes for all my devices in the TSU7000).

OR

2. Wait until September for the new remote. However, from my past experiences with Pronto remotes (dating back to the TS1000), it often takes months for the bugs to be worked out with firmware and editor updates (for my personal experience, it took a year from the time I bought the TSU3000 before I could use it reliably and retire my TS1000). Getting a new remote would also entail redoing all my graphics, and if things don't go well, I may have to relearn IR codes (the TS1000 to TSU3000 port did not go well for me... too many codes stopped working when porting from the TS1000 to TSU3000). Then, once I finally finish programming my new remote (after weeks), I can imagine Daniel coming out with great graphics which I would want to use, so I would then have the urge to replace all my graphics with Daniel's graphics. That would be even more weeks of programming.... (seriously though, Daniel's graphics are excellent! Thank you very much!).

OR

3. Get the TSU9600! Same story. Lots (weeks) of programming to do. Plus, the serial extender itself costs as much as the TSU7500. I like the idea of RS232 control (I have a number of devices with serial interface). But, RS232 control isn't a necessity. All my devices can be controlled just fine via the RFX6500. All my devices also have discrete codes. I'm also not convinced that I like the TSU9600's layout which requires 2 hands (though I admittedly haven't held one in my hands, and from what some folks say, it's not an issue).

The insanity of it all!

Oh well.... for now, I'm inclined to go with the TSU7500. This is quite a busy time for me, and I don't have much time to devote to developing a new interface. I wonder if now is the time to get a TSU7500 (before it's too late), or wait a little bit and see if the prices go down....

Hosting Services by ipHouse