The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Thursday April 3, 2008 at 13:47
KrisRoberts
Long Time Member
March 2008
The 'package' contains a canopy control module, a wall switch (with IR window) and a remote.

The control module goes in the fan, in my case replacing the Hunter Douglas RF receiver module. The instructions make it seem like it should work with most/all fans regardless of whether they were remote controlled in the first place or not. Here's a link to the instructions:
[Link: lutronservices.com]

The wall switch as two groups of buttons, one for the light and the other for the fan. The fan button has a little window on it which is the IR receiver/sensor. Here's what it looks like:

The Lutron remote control is nice, and has a similar set of buttons to control the light and the fan. Basically using either the wall switch or the remote you can set the level you want them to default to, and have manual override to max out, turn off, dim/slow or brighten/speed-up as you like.

My pronto learned all the codes with no problem and I threw together a device interface that mirrors the Lutron controller. I also integrated the controls into the actions I have that set all the lights in the room to particular levels.

So far I'm satisfied. Its great to have integrated control over the fan. Its a little mysterious to me that there are no other general IR/X10/Insteon fan control solutions. Seems like a business opportunity for some clever person to make a device that will work with the popular automation systems.

This particular solution is sufficient, but its a little clunky that it relies on IR. For me its not a problem because I have a RFX6000 near the switch and can easily have one of the little repeater lights right on the ir receiver. It would be less reliable to have to use the IR blaster from across the room or actually aim the Pronto at the switch. But that would still be better than nothing...

Hosting Services by ipHouse