The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 204 made on Monday February 27, 2006 at 23:08
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
On February 27, 2006 at 20:54, jcl said...
A little off topic but have you thought of an
outboard DVD controller? The downside is they
only work with the 777es changers but they catalog
and sort everything for you as well as let you
browse by genre and see a synopsis of the movie.
Some that I have worked with are a little slow
and I'm not crazy about the user interface but
I am very happy with mine. I just upgraded my
two 985s for two 777es' and an Elan DVDJ and now
I don't have a need for the covers in my pronto.

Prior to purchasing my Pronto I did contemplate an outboard DVD controller solution. I also took a look at the DVD Lobby software in conjunction with my HTPC. DVD Lobby ran unacceptably slow with larger collections, and was simply not flexible enough to suit my needs. The outboard DVD controllers available at the time were limited to 3 or 4 changers and only supported the 777es units. That has not changed much. The 777es units had also not been out for long and were three times the price of the 985's. Then there was the cost of the outboard controller itself. Whatever solution I decided to go with in the end I also needed a good remote control. Not only would the remote need to control all my other home theatre components, but it also needed to house the DVD management interface. I was not interested in an on-screen only solution. The last big requirement I had was that specific information on each disc in a box set be part of the DVD management interface. This was something no one offered. I'd say it is a safe bet that most still don't offer this.

After calculating the cost, pro's and con's of each solution available I basically scrapped the whole idea of automating my DVD collection. After all, what else would I line my wall with floor to ceiling if it were not DVD's? :-) So shortly after scrapping the whole idea I saw one of the ProntoNG remotes at my local electronics retailer. It was the coolest remote I'd ever seen. I immediately went home and downloaded the editor to see what was possible. I also stumbled upon Remote Central. Probably from doing a google search on the remote. Without RC I doubt I would ever have bought my first ProntoNG remote. The examples I found here of what could be done with these remotes really sold me. Later that week I purchased my first ProntoNG remote, the TSU3000. The rest is history.

For less than the price of 2 777es changers at the time I purchased 3 985's (all with 5 year service plans), a HDTV component video switch, some IR equipment (did not know about the RF extender .. doh!), all the cables I would need, and my TSU3000. (I shortly thereafter upgraded to a TSU7000. Was able to return my TSU3000 for the TSU7000.) I was all set. I was also already using DVD Profiler. Planning ahead I had all the work required in DVD Profiler done and my DVD's lined up ready to be loaded in the changers. My initial PCF as I recall took about a week to work up. All in all it was a very smooth process. The big thing for me that I get with using my TSU7000 for DVD management is flexibility. When it comes time to purchase a 5th changer for instance I won't have to purchase another outboard controller. There are also no limits on the types of changers I can go with, which means I don't have to go with more expensive changers if I don't want to. (The 985's can now be had for $250 on average.) Most importantly, having that control over both the layout and function of the DVD management interface is what I like most. I would not trade that for anything. The icing on the cake for me is being able to include custom submenu screens for box sets. No other DVD management solution out there offers custom sub-screens for every title in ones collection which contains two discs or more, least that I know of. Mine does, and for 1,289 discs no less. Sure I have to do all the work, but what fun would it be if someone else did the work for me. :-P

Guess that turned into more of a testimonial than a simple response to your reply JCL. I can get carried away sometimes. I did stop by the ELAN home page and read up on the VIA!®dvdj. Looks like a very nice DVD management solution. At some point I might like to add an on-screen DVD management solution as well, but it would have to support more than 4 changers. I will be adding a 5th changer in the next 6 months or so along with my upgrade to the TSU7500. The ELAN website states that the VIA! supports both RS-232 and IR. Wonder what that's all about. The website only mentions support for the 777es via RS-232. Hmmm. I was especially interested in the Dealer Administration PC tool they talk about used to view and edit cover art and DVD data. Have you used that tool yet? How much can you do with it? It would interesting for grins to see what could be done with the web interface. Sounds like the VIA! is working out wonderfully for you. Thanks for sharing JCL. I had not heard of it till now. Learn about something new everyday eh.

Last edited by Lowpro on February 28, 2006 18:27.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse