Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 134 made on Tuesday October 4, 2005 at 08:07
bongiornoa
Long Time Member
November 2003
TOUCHSCREEN FIX:

My TSU3000 had the same problem as everyone is experiencing, see my post #130 on 9/29/05. Changing the batteries, hitting the reset, upgrading the firmware, reloading the configuration, etc. WILL NOT repair the problem. The only fix is to open up the case and clean the contacts (see post #95 from PeraV). There are four torx screws on the back of the unit (after you remove the battery cover) that need to be removed. The bits in my Torx set were too big so I bought a new set at Radio Shack. Once the 4 screws are removed, you need to open the case. Run your fingernails in the groove and pry it open. I found it easier to start at the top. Once the case is separated, there is one more torx screw at the top of the circuit board. Once that is removed, pry the green frame off the touchscreen. Take care that you don’t break the frame near the side four buttons. Note that there is a small plastic piece that goes over the usb and battery charger connector and another small plastic piece at the top of the touch screen. You now need to clean the four contact points on the flexible plastic at the top right of the screen. Also, clean the metal strips at the top and bottom of the screen. Use a pencil eraser to clean the contact points (a computer engineer trick) and then spray the contacts and the entire unit with a spray contact cleaner. This will clean and lubricate the contacts. Put the unit back together and download the latest firmware. I knew right away that I had mine fixed because I was able to calibrate the screen on the first try. The remote is now working perfectly.

DISCLAIMER: Try the fix at your own risk!

I have to believe that Philips knows the fix to the problem but they would rather increase their sales by charging you $160.00 for a refurbished unit they repaired by
following my procedure above. If they were really interested in quality customer service at a fair price, they would charge no more than $25.00 to clean the unit. I love the TSU3000 but I question whether I would buy another product from Philips.

Hosting Services by ipHouse