The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday February 9, 2004 at 23:13
FireAx
Lurking Member
February 2004
If I could discover the names and addresses of the UI designers of the iPronto, I would send them copies of Steve Krug's excellent book "Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability."

Steve's central theme is that a well designed UI (web page or otherwise) should cause the user the least amount of mental strain, pain, frustration, or confusion.

If you've ever designed anything for someone else to use, just watch a total stranger attempting to use it for the first time. It will become clear to you that what you understand and take for granted is not universal.

The folks who hammered the UI for the iPronto knew that what they had was only half-baked. If the didn't, they're from another planet. The installation interface for the Proto Pro TSU700 (which I also have) is one heck of a lot better. It at least has a "brand" category to get you started.

If you believe that the iPronto is as good as it gets, I believe you're settling to way too little.
If I were in charge of developing the iPronto's software I would set up a tech group who's only function would be the collection of every remote control code, or piece of consumer electronics available for the purpose of building a reliable database. Once that exists, the rest is simply a matter of decent UI programming. Of course, this costs money.

If the only people who buy Prontos are people who enjoy poking around three level deep nested menus and figuring out which of the six possible variations of codes will work, then the product line is doomed.

There just aren't enough of these kind of users to sustain a product, no matter what the price.

-Rob

Hosting Services by ipHouse