The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 10:57
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
I forgot about ad hoc - That is a distinct possibility. As to why would Philips make something IP compliant and not fully use it - well that begs a lot of questions about Philips, its customer support, it's technical savy, lessons learned and marketing model. My current example is the hard button for channel up down on the iPronto. They got it right on every prior Pronto model, i.e. it can not be global as most Home Theaters have more than one device that tunes channels. On the ipronto it is global and that is about as stupid a design decision as I have come across.

I have removed almost all 2.4 GHZ phone from my house (in favor of 5 gig) and that greatly improved wifi operations in my house. The only 2.4 Gig phone I have is the B&O 800 which is a work of art, not a phone.

With regard to marketing model and customer support, they need to look at companies like Tivo and Roku; not companies like Sony and Pioneer. Tivo and Roku built platforms based on Linux and GNU; and then capitalized on it by supporting the user community at large with BBS presence (two way presence) and encouraging / supporting ad hoc enhancements and development.

I am fully disgusted with Philips as a company, but do like some of their products. I use my iPronto as a simple but very pretty, and very very expensive IR remote no RF for the obvious reasons no EPG for the same reasons, just a high class toy with a future full of promises being broken on a regular basis. i guess they never heard the concepts of "Setting Customer Expectations". Whoops i should not say that but rather they just do not believe they need to meet the customers expectations that they themselves set!

Hosting Services by ipHouse