The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Wednesday September 15, 2004 at 05:32
Goshdarnit
Long Time Member
February 2003
Hi. I have had mine about a month or so now. I find it to be the best remote around for what I need. My system is complex, with a Plasma screen only in the lounge and a cinema room with projector and all the AV equipment. The iPronto is great because the screen size allows more buttons than the small screen prontos. I found on my old pronto that I was having to make buttons incredibly small just to fit everything on screen, and also that I was having to remove functions because it was low on memory. The programmability means that my girflriend doesn't have to think about the fact that the volume is controlled by the receiver while video comes from the Tivo and the projector controls the picture! It all just happens. In other words, a high GAF! Also, the NetX makes the control of items in another room or a cabinet very easy with a minimal amount of clutter. NetX is truly an elegant solution to this one.

I find myself using the EPG a lot. It is useful for scanning what is on. I find it quicker to use for that than the Tivo menu, but it could do with some tweaking and streamlining. What it is not good for is planning your viewing ahead, as it is far too awkward to use for that purpose. I'm in the UK, and it's worth noting that not EVERY channel is in the EPG. I think pretty much all of them are there, but it doesn't have the "+1 hour" channels, such as UKGold+1 etc. As for internet, I find myself using it a fair amount. Not loads, but it comes in handy. I like it when you see an advert with an interesting website, as you can go and look without having to go to another room, and before you forget the website.

All in all, I'd recommend it, especially with the latest upgrade. The remote works well, now that the reboot issue seems to have been solved on mine (fingers crossed) and has easily the best screen around, with plenty of memory. The EPG could be a killer ap with a bit more work, but is useful as is. The Internet is handy, but worth noting that not all sites work on it, as many of the plugins that Web sites use are not supported on the iPronto. And in some cases, you seem to have paid for things that don't do anything. The headphone socket, SD/MMC card slot, USB socket, speakers and rather decent sound system are all dead in the water. The only thing you can do with sound is beeps, exactly as in the old Prontos, and the only time you get an idea of what it can do is when you access the setup menus when it plays a little tune. It'll be interesting to see what Philips have planned for these features, but I do get the feeling that they have added to the price without adding to its functionality at the moment.

All in all, if you can afford it, I'd recommend it. I wouldn't say it is WORTH it exactly. I don't think you can with a remote control costing over a grand (near enough 1500 with a NetX)! I've had cars that cost less in my youth! (Not criticising Philips pricing, just saying that there are people who just can't believe my remote is worth more than their whole system). What I would say is I love it, and I wouldn't want to revert back to my old Pronto now.

Hosting Services by ipHouse