Post 9 made on Sunday September 26, 2004 at 03:24
pjgregory
Lurking Member
December 2003
On 09/25/04 23:21 ET, bassfiend said...
2-way RS-232 I just don't see happening full stop
as there is no easy way to slot that functionality
(for handling incoming events and data) into the
existing iPronto/Pronto type of programming environment.
1-way should however be possible.

I understand this - which is why I would like to interface the iPronto to products like the GC-100 or CharmedQuark that can.

If you bought the iPronto expecting it to do something
without checking that it did then - unfortunately
- more fool you. If you bought it knowing that
it didn't do what you wanted but expecting that
you could find a workaround or someone would hack
the functionality into it then you took a calculated
gamble which could still happen.

I did buy the iPronto expecting a lot of things. There was a white paper on the Philips site (no longer there I see) that talked of interfaces to other third party software for control of entertainment throughout the house. I did check all of the avaiable technical information before purchase. But you are right in that I did gamble that a company like Philips would fullfill its marketing promises.

The current web site still has under Technical Specifications

" Future upgradable multi-media card slot and USB port (accessable through future software upgrade)".

I could go on. The impression in all the Philips advertising was that the iPronto would be the center of a complete home automation system. Again from their web site:

"iPronto, complete control anywhere in your home.

Looking for benefits without hassle? Fun without fuss? It’s now within your reach! With iPronto!"

I am just sad that this is a good product that has failed to meet its expectations. I understand that its not the fault of the product team - if they have no money, they can't do anything.

To be fair - the iPronto is probably the best and most expensive programable IR remote control that you can buy. If thats what you require fine. But the extensibility to control other hardware and software over the wifi network is just not there.

PJG

Hosting Services by ipHouse