Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday September 25, 2004 at 15:06
pjgregory
Lurking Member
December 2003
Hi

I totally share your frustration. I have been trying for over a year now to get the iPronto to control a complex home theater installation. Using one way IR code is just not good enougth, especially as some devices, such as my projector, need 2 way RS232 to control them properly.

I have been playing around with a software alternative to GC-100 from CharmedQuark. I can implement all the distributed control I need to operate house lights, amplifer, projector and software applications on my HTPC, but I am stuck for a handheld control device. My iPronto would be perfect - the right size, the right weight, the instant on etc.

BUT I CAN'T USE IT!

It won't send TCP strings. It won't allow me to run a fast version of VNC so that I can duplicate an interface on another PC. It won't run Windows .NET so that I can implement the interface directly. It's just an expensive paperweight that makes me sad evertime I look at it.

The CharmedQuark bulliten board along with other boards have many threads about people looking for a handheld touch screen device for home control. If you forget the expensive and closed devices such as those from Celestron and AMX, there is really nothing between large tablet PC's and small PDA's.

Why the iPronto team does not see this market opportunity and do something about it is beyond me? Perhaps it is part of the same lack of vision that is bringing down Philips as a whole.

PJG

Hosting Services by ipHouse