Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Thursday July 15, 2004 at 06:29
bassfiend
Long Time Member
September 2003

I am a bit confused by your last comment, no negatives
meant at all re the 940.... quite the opposite.

I was just meaning that your RU940 working fine is little consolation when your iPronto is still off having its innards fiddled with.

it was the second unit I bought after my daughter
broke the first one. We could not live without
one and while I tried to fix the original the
second one was purchased. I eventually found a
track going to the screen was broken and some
careful soldering brought it back to life.

Had exactly the same thing happen with mine too - Edward (A.K.A. Demon Spawn) threw a paddy and decided to hurl everything on the coffee table across the room. I was not impressed when my RU940 was picked up off the floor lifeless!

The reason I bought the ipronto really was the
fact I was so pleased with the 940, it did everyting
I expected and more. What could be better than
a larger colour verson of same with a web browser
and EPG.

This is one place where I think that Philips have been a victim of their own success - the RU890 and RU940 were so close to being the ideal solution that anything that followed would have a tough time. The 890/940 had decent battery life, didn't have to "wake up" to start to work and they fitted the hand nicely, in fact the only thing in my opinion that let them down was the screen itself ... if it could have been possible to have simply found a better screen (brighter backlight) then I would still be using the old units, even if it meant sacrificing some battery life. :-(

I have had several universal remotes over the
years and this one (940) was the one that finally
replaced everything.

The 940 is stable, works every time, fast to program
and I am generally delighted with it.

I see it to continue to be used even (if ?) when
the ipronto comes back.

My wife still uses the RU940 at home ... I have had each model of Philips remote back at home to play with (except the RU980) and she hated the 970 and the 950 - I know she'll hate the 980 too as she doesn't like the design of the 950. She finds that hard to use without actually looking at the unit to find the hard buttons.

I was amazed when I took an iPronto home originally and after about ten minutes of using it she actually said "Yes ... I can see that being OK, I like it - doesn't mean I'm going to let you buy one though!"

So if you ever meet her - sshhhhhhh - the one I have at home isn't mine, "It's on loan from work." ;-)

Phil

Hosting Services by ipHouse