The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday September 21, 2004 at 08:27
bassfiend
Long Time Member
September 2003
I guess maybe this is where I'm a pessimist with kit ... I buy something because of what it does now, not because of what it might do in the future. I'm happy to have a remote with a huge screen where I no longer have to spend hours/days carefully tweaking layouts to get them to fit in the given space. I remember feeling quite queasy when I imported my RU970 CCF file into the iPronto and there were these huge expanses of unused screen that I then had to fill!

There are things I wish it did differently - sure. I wish it didn't take so long to wake up, I'd happily sacrifice a lot of battery life if they could keep at least the hard buttons working at all times (most of the customers I speak with recharge the thing every night anyway) and just how much do I wish it had a charging cradle rather than that bloody stupid plug in PSU but other than that I'm really happy with it - it's a remote control that does what it's supposed to do.

Playing Devils Advocate once again - because I honestly don't set out to rub people up the wrong way but I do like sparking off what is hopefully a healthy debate rather than just a series of "me too" grumbles - I'd be interested to know what people have been promised by Philips in the way of what the iPronto will do but that it doesn't now. You see, Philips are one of these companies that put out products which are "out there" and sometimes so way ahead/aside from the rest of the field that they either take off or crash and burn ... doesn't necessarily make them bad products ... remember Video2000?

I love my iPronto - in fact I need another one but can't afford it. Yes it would be nice if it had more functionality but it doesn't *NEED* more functionality to do what it is supposed to do. Believe it or not I push a few people inside Philips (Europe) *VERY* hard over this product probably two or three times a week but they aren't going to implement anything that may detract from it's core purpose in either speed or stability - just follow the threads from a few months ago and most of them were about stability issues.

Phil

Hosting Services by ipHouse