Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday January 29, 2005 at 03:56
nickyboy
Long Time Member
January 2005
Hi,

Has anybody else had problems with an iPronto when not using a WiFi access point?

I had to install (my first) iPronto just before Christmas and the house was out in the sticks with no Broadband. Hence we didn't feel the need for a WiFi connection as there's no need for the Netlinx in the system either.

Anyway, the unit fell over & I've tried all sorts of things, from rewriting the program from scratch in the new version of software (I also downloaded 1.8.2 firmware when I got the unit back home). Another unit was purchased as a replacement in case there was a problem with the original unit.

I have had both units at home and when coming down in the morning both screens have been on and won't switch off! This is when connected to the WiFi point but with no broadband connection on, or with the WiFi connection switched off.

Is this due to the epg trying to download, not being able to and then throwing a fit?

I can only assume this as the only time I've had it working solidly is with both WiFi & broadband connected.

Am I clutching at straws, because if this is the case, why can't Philips give you the option to switch off the epg and/or WiFi connection if not needed?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated, as I want to use the iProntos, I can see their potential, but if they have to have WiFi & broadband to work (which isn't always possible) then I can't endorse them.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick

Hosting Services by ipHouse