The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday January 24, 2005 at 00:10
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
Might be better to take this off line. Check my profile for my email address.

The PC is never rebooted unless I change something and need to do a little "regression rebooting". The system runs 24x7 on an IBM A21M laptop. In fact I just changed it to WinXP from Win2K today. Did a simple upgrade and needed to change one set of drivers and all is working well. Also sails through Power glitches(The PC does) since it is battery driven on a power supply. I use a small UPS to power the Slinke and the IOnetworks devices, but am looking at auto reinitialization after power loss to handle that better.

IR in is handled by a NECIR2PC which understands only NEC protocol, but I have programmed the iPronto to only put out NEC protocol. The nice thing about the NECIR2PC is that it is an RS232 serial device and provides a fully decoded hex string giving device and key codes. All for about $40. IR out is handled by a Nirvis Slink. RS232 port expansion is By an IO networks USB to 8 serial (just bought a spare for $36 on ebay).

I figure I can duplicate all of the hardware needed for under $1000. The most expensive device being the PC, followed by the Slinke.

The software is the result of years of work and I am in the process of building a more open version. The problem is controlling RS232 devices. There are so many protocols used by each mfg that you practically need a custom driver for each one.

Yes it is basically a Crestron or AMX with the PC being the control element and the iPronto (Or any pronto) being the user interface

Hosting Services by ipHouse