The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Tuesday August 29, 2006 at 16:18
bobbbird
Long Time Member
April 2004

Needing a smaller remote for my bedroom, I ordered a RC9800i. I was impressed with it's feel and loved the cradle.

As noted, the unit can not be programed in the true sense but relys on recognizing the IR codes of the remotes you wish to use. If it doesn't recognize your remote, there is a "Custom Remote" which requires learning all of the codes and labeling the buttons.

I sarted out by trying to set up my View Sonic flat screen. It did have View Sonic on the list but did not respond to the model number. It then asks you to try several codes to see if one will work. Failing this, you have the custom option. I could not use the custom feature as the RC9800i would not allow me past the first couple of steps. I think it recognized the power on code and assumed that it knew the remote (which it didn't.)

The unit did work on my living room Panasonic flat screen and even allowed me to construct a remote for my JVC switcher.

I spent a couple of days trying to program around the View Sonic problem And then returned it.

I did go online and check the FAQ's. I called their customer care and after about an hour was told that I knew more about the unit than the custmer care person.

The RC9800i is a great unit for the price if you can get it to program. Don't buy one unless you know you can return it!!!

bobb

Hosting Services by ipHouse