The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Saturday December 29, 2001 at 00:07
Trynyty
Founding Member
December 2001
Well, I'm not an expert, I've never owned a Pronto & this is my first 'learning' remote, but I will tell you what I think of it. I've always both desired and detested the Pronto. I love the 'cool' factor, but I hate the idea of being forced to look at a screen for EVERY A/V function I wish to perform. Sometimes, laying on the couch in a dark room with the remote in your hand is important. Feel and sightless operation are important. And with a TiVo, I needed more than channel & volume up/down.

To me, the Neo is moving more in the right direction than even the Pronto Pro. I don't much care for a color screen (RF would be nice). Sure the resolution is much worse than a Pronto's resolution (personally, the simpler the better in my mind). Get used to just plain buttons and no more than a dozen or so buttons per page (and trust me, you'll probably want less than that to avoid false pushes). But the form factor is a dramatic improvement. The four-way switch is great. Plus, it still has a major cool factor among your friends.

What I dislike:
No RF
Still a few hard buttons short (2 more would be great)
No 'in unit' recharging for batteries (you have to recharge them externally)
Programming limitations (that'll hopefully be fixed)
- Example: the main menu (device menu) doesn't allow for custom actions to be assigned to the device buttons as this menu is dynamically created.

What I like:
Form factor (buttons, buttons, buttons)
Looks cool
Good price (I wouldn't pay more than 250 for a remote - and yes, I know I can get a low end Pronto for that on EBay)

What I can live with but others many not like:
lower resolution
lack of ability to create 'flashy' pages

My goals for A/V control:
A remote like the Neo with RF and recharging cradle for simple day to day operations.
A wireless tablet PC for complicated operations. Dynamic menu capabilities, large color screen. Why buy a Pronto Pro? Get a tablet PC and get web access as well.

So far, 1 week in, I really like it. I had some bad times, but I muddled through those. I might have more fun with a Pronto, but this feels like a more practical solution.

These are just my opinions. Hope they help.

Trynyty

Hosting Services by ipHouse