What is the function switch? Is it a hard key
or soft key? I have the following hard keys:

Channel up and down
vol up and down
mute
EX exit
M Menu
S Status

Sorry...I didn't realize that the mirantz version was physically different from the standard TSU-500. On the TSU-500 there is a mute button beneath the vol arrows and a key with an "f" on it beneath the channel arrows. This "f" function key I have linked to jump to macros.
I am still trying to find a way to do this in
an efficient manor. The problem that I am running
in to is that one page does not seem to be quite
enough and two pages is cumbersome. If I could
assign multi functions to single keys (macro)
on any page then that would help.

Agreed. There is very little real estate to work with. Looking at many of the NCFs here, people have constructed visually beautiful remotes. However, thinking outside the device oriented box requires choosing function over form. I use the smallest buttons I can select so that I can jam as many as possible on a page. You are correct in noting that multiple pages are a pain and will not be usable by visiting novices. Function over form looks bad but is mitigated by trying to make sure you have your heavy hitting functions on hard keys. My goal is to never have to hit the device button and go through that intermediate menu. I want 99% of my remoting to be done unconciously w/hard keys. My mom, babysitter, etc doesn't want to learn about tabbed menus, devices, etc.
Very good advice! Sorry if I seemed a bit impatient,
but I stand buy my original statement with this
addition. As configured from the factory, this
is without a doubt, the least user friendly and
most cumbersome remote I have ever used and I
have used many! ;^) I appreciate everyones help
and I will try to be a little more patient but
unless I can simplify things a bit, I will constantly
have to explain to my wife how to operate this
thing and she still will not be able to use it.
NOT a good thing. ;^)

I love my NEO but I'm a software engineer and I like to tinker with things. I think the product, from a product standpoint, borders on User Hostile. Unsupported software. Unresponsive/unhelpfull support. Without this forum and a background/willingness to really tinker there is little chance for success. However, with this forum and a willingness to tinker and persistence, you end up with a very nice programmable remote.

Hosting Services by ipHouse