The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Wednesday May 15, 2002 at 14:01
Slack
Founding Member
February 2002
I'm gonna dissent from the negative opinions.
Less really is more (buttonwise).

I thik the harmony is adept at PVR activities. It took a fair amount tweaking to get it there (no xml required). In fact I actually had an RMA # issued before I resolved myself to get it working.

I do not have a Tivo, However, I have a ReplayTV! (Quicksip/Commercial advance sold me). And as my other posts will attest. The standard, or out-of-the-box 'Watch PVR' activity for the ReplayTV was piss poor. After slogging through about 10 button remaps for this activity, the Harmony is effortlessly controlling my ReplayTV. Wich is about 99.5% of what I do with my setup.

My 'Watch ReplayTV' activity has three menus. Play, Navigate, Change Activity. In that order. the power-up mode is play. I have gotten so used to 1-side button press for Play-to-Nav, and 2-side button presses for the Nav-to-Play transitions that never I pick up the old ReplayTV remote (excepting times when the wife gets the harmony out of sync, an I want to quickly get the system synced without using the help button built into the harmony.)

I can search for content to record, setup features, browse the program guide, quickskip commercials, replay, rewind, all from the harmony, WHILST NEVER HAVING TO LOOK AT THE THING. In fact I turned off the back light to save on batteries.

Occasionally, very occasionally, I find myself wanting a number pad on the thing. But I gladly give it up because the Harmony integrates all of the old remotes so well.

I have...
Sony AV Receiver
Sony VCR
Sony CD Player
Sony TV
Sony DVD coming soon...
And a ReplayTV (god bless pvr's and death to those who would try to destroy my ability to nuke commercial breaks with the single press of a button)

The wife calls me at work the other day and says "I pressed watch a video tape. And it worked!!!"

That alone saved me 15 minutes of tech-support.

Take a look at some of the ReplayTV threads on this board, for my other rants / descriptions of how I came to love this remote.

Hosting Services by ipHouse