The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday March 1, 2006 at 20:31
chazcdc_54
Long Time Member
January 2003
I have owned a Home Theater Master MX-500 for some three years now and have been quite satisfied but I find the center "touch pad" is now wearing out a little. This was the ONE design feature I always hated about it this remote - very poor design and usability in my opinion. I hope the 880's navigation pad and enter button aren't built on a single toggle!!!

I've been thinking of a replacement and I'm not sure the MX-500 is still in production and have been thinking about the Harmony 880. I've read numerous reviews and it seems to be on many "Best of" lists and has won some awards as well.

I'm looking for some personal takes. Any one familiar with the MX-500 and how it would compare? There is so much on the plus side for the 880 that I can see that I won't belabor it.

On the (possible) negative:
1) the recharging feature seems a sticky point for some people.

2) Some of the hard buttons are awfully small - particularly the activity buttons - any real problems for users?

3) Can one set up "macros" or comparable "activities" to switch "between" components, i.e. swtiching from watching TIVO TV to watching a DVD? Also, to power up the whole system and power down after finishing an activity?

4) Confirming - this is a programmable AND learning remote, correct? I found that with the MX-500 I had to end up "learning" the majority of the functions of my components as programming only programmed "some" of the functions and often to the wrong button or to an non-intuitive button. I corrected by using the learning function - time consuming but worth it in the long run. Can the 880 do this?

A lot of questions, but whatever feedback from someone in the know with time on their hands could offer would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hosting Services by ipHouse