Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday March 21, 2008 at 06:56
ecnirp
Founding Member
August 2001
Hi

I've had a Marantz RC5000 (also known as the Phillips Pronto) remote, its finally given up the ghost after 8 years of loyal service, its been a fine remote.

I'm now looking for a replacement, the Logitech remotes seem the best around for features/value, I can get a Harmony one for about £110 and the 785 for about £80, looking at the reviews and comments on the forums, I think its worth paying the bit extra for the Harmony One, what do people think, bearing in mind i'm used to the touch screen of the RC5000?

The other concern I have is for the IR reach, I have a Samsung 40" LCD TV on a table in the corner of the living room, we have a 1 year old, so the Sky+ box and the Sony DAV-IS10 home theatre system control box are hidden well back behind the TV against the wall, so they are not visible, only the TV can be seen/reached by 1 year olds fingers !

The RC5000 was fine for controlling the SKY+ and IS10 behind the TV, you just point the RC5000 at the TV and the IR signal easily reached the devices behind the TV to control them, the RC5000 IR spread always seemed to be very good and could reach devices without having to have much of the device on show, having used the native SKY+ and IS10 remotes for the last few weeks since the RC5000 demise, I have been struggling to control these devices as the TV is blocking the IR reaching the devices, so i'm having to angle the device round the side of the TV, often its just easier to get up and manually operate the devices, not what you want from a remote !!! so, what's the Harmony one/785 like for the IR reach? as I do not want to spend over £100 and have the same problem as I've got with the remotes that came with the devices.

Moving the Sky+ and IS10 is not really an option as they just sit behiond the TV so I have no room to move them and if I move them infront of the TV, they look unsightly and the baby loves to grab them !!!

Thanks for any help.

Hosting Services by ipHouse