The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Tuesday May 13, 2008 at 20:45
gomi no sensei
Lurking Member
March 2008
1. I wasn't clear enough. I don't want to create the blank utility activity with the ugly buttons. I want to create an activity and then, based on my desires rather than what Logitech thinks would be best, choose the buttons that will go on there. They have a bunch of nice button templates, and I bet I haven't seen all of them. At some point, when I have time, I'm going to slog through a bunch more and see if there are some templates that are better than what I'm using now for a couple of my activities.

The fact that I'm not able to see the whole array of options or easily get to them is, in my opinion, a bad design choice on Logitech's part. Yes, have the wizards for new users. But give people a way to avoid that and more easily harness the full power of the device.

3. There are significant delays for me. It generally takes several seconds for a new page to load. Part of why it bothers me so much is that it's pointless. Having it be a web tool rather than software running wholly on my computer adds zero value for me. It's a bad design choice.

4. That's a difference of opinion. I believe that clicking several times through unnecessary extra screens in a wizard is bad user interface design. I'm sure this is colored by how long it takes each screen to load.

Overall, I think the problem is that the programming interface was designed as an afterthought. They clearly put plenty of effort into designing the remote itself, and it's an excellent piece of hardware. The software on it certainly has some room to improve, but overall it's very solid, and there isn't anything meaningful to complain about. The software to program it is amateurish like you say, and I suspect it means that a large portion of the owners of these aren't getting all they could be out of it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse