The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday May 24, 2008 at 12:16
robster1958
Founding Member
August 2001
I inadvertently created a little private flame war between custom install guys and consumer tweakers.

quick background: about six months ago, for first time ever, i let my a/v dealer talk me into "automation" as they like to call it. i bought the RTI T2-c, which happens to be a great remote, imo. similar ergonomics to the Harmony One. one huge negative for me though:

well...RTI is programmable only by dealers, because RTI restricts the software. So that means going back to dealer for every little change...(or living with little problems, until i can aggregate them into a big list of problems). Annoying. Expensive. and no fun tweaking!

Anyhow, i understand the fundamental economics of why this exists, but i was surprised as i go to sell my RTI, that my "downgrade" choice of Harmony ONE is denegrated.

I just ordered my Harmony ONE, so I can't comment first-hand, but am i missing something? I don't need RF, so that's not a problem. It seems to have ability to program delays, repeats, etc...and has memory of on/off status of pieces. It looks great. rechargable. only $200 or so.

I actually read that some earlier Harmony products were so-so, and the programming software had some glitches...but every review on the Harmony ONE is outstanding. Only negatives being lack of RF and "high" price (not for me...my used RTI will buy me two of these babies.) If only this device was on the market before i spent $800 on the RTI....which in that world of Crestons, etc is considered cheap!

I guess i am just looking for reinforcement that this Harmony ONE will do everything i need...which is the activity macros, and then the individual controlling of each component. Maybe the last feature i mentioned ($200 price) is the real reason the "pro's" don't like it? Plus no annuity business in re-programming?

Hosting Services by ipHouse