The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday June 26, 2008 at 14:06
Phylth
Lurking Member
June 2008
I have a Harmony 720 and a fairly new home theatre set-up. My question is not strictly about the remote itself, but options for better IR communication with my devices.

Due to the oddball layout of my house my home theatre gear is unavoidably in the corner of a room. Recently I built-in bookcases along the wall, right into the corner, incorporating a TV cabinet. My LG 42LBX TV is on an articulated wall mount inside the cabinet, along with the receiver, digital cable box, DVD player and Wii. The TV's mount allows it to be angled towards the viewer when in use, or flattened inside the cabinet and out of sight when not. The components, however, are on a shelf facing outwards.

Here's the problem: I'm typically seated at a 45 degree angle from the front faces of the components. As a result the remote's IR communication is spotty, particularly with my Sony tuner. There's not enough space on the shelves to angle the components towards the room's seating. As a result, often only half the remote's commands make it to the devices I'm trying to control.

I imagine I could get an IR extender or repeater, but would I need a different one for each component? I would be grateful for any advice on the options available to me here, or on how others have dealt with similar issues. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Harmony 720 remote
LG 42LBX tv
Motorola DST-6412III pvr
Sony STR-DG720 receiver
Philips DVP-642 dvd player
Wii
Harmony 720 / LG 42LBX / Motorola DST-6412III / Sony STR-DG720 /
Philips DVP-642 / Wii

Hosting Services by ipHouse