The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday January 6, 2009 at 18:20
scotty63
Long Time Member
February 2007
OK, I now have control of the STB w/ the hard buttons I want. Software needed to be upgraded according to Logitec but my old version was 7.5.10 and the new one is 7.5. Go figure.
Even w/ the new SW, I had to enter all the button assignments 3 times for all of them to take and then got a surprise. First time, I got half of the number buttons but not the channel up/ down. Second time I got all numeric keys, still no up/ down. Third time all numeric and channel up/ down were OK but now power control didn't work anymore (surprise!). Fourth time and "teaching" the power command from the OEM remote (was OK previously using power toggle) and I got what I need initially. W/ the hard keys each time I went back to customize buttons for the activity, the keys were blank but I had definitely set them to STB and the required function in the last round of programming. They just kind of populated gradually. No idea about the power toggle issue.

Once set, I like my remote but this is typical of my programming experience since I started with it. (Modern laptop, DSL, no connect errors, AV and firewalls off). Logitec should be able to do better.

I just read the "Why pros diss Harmony" thread and the lost time on installs was a valid point if my experience is any indication. About 40 minutes for a 3 minute job (my initial setup was faster!). The rest of the thread was pretty sketchy (Why would anyone think we believe a $150 remote would/ should answer your door for you, route video feeds and automatically shut doors you left open? Who are these people and how did they get so out of touch with the real world?)

akirby, your patience is astounding w/ us newbies, thank you for trying to help here.
I have another simple question but it's best in another thread,
So, how do civilians do this stuff?

Hosting Services by ipHouse