The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 50 made on Monday July 23, 2007 at 16:30
LDUNN1
Long Time Member
July 2007
Thanks akirby for your response again. A few more questions I am afraid (to you or anyone else experienced who may feel like answering)......

......what is 'closed Captioned' - what is the different between this & regualr 'watch TV'.......it might seem like a dumb question if you have a logitech Harmony remote, but when you don't the terminology is lost on me I am afraid.

So, going back to the capablities of the harmonies, & to summarise:-

1) They can be used to replicate an existing remote pretty well.
2) They can be used to set up 'activities' that turn your whole system on/off & select the necessary inputs.
3) They can provide some basic 'hit & miss' sending of strings of commands up to three or four commands at the push of a button, via teh 'raw' mode
4) They should be able to support real macros in the not too distant future (September ish?) up to about 10 commands.

So comparing the Harmony 1000 with a Pronto like remote:-

a) the Pronto permits full customisation of backgrounds, while the Harmony 1000 doesn't - although you can have the existing background replaced by an image

b) the Pronto permits full customisation of touch screen buttons - both look & functionality of those buttons - the Harmony 1000 doesn't.

c) the Pronto permits full customisation of numbers of screen pages (memory permitting) & the navigation between them, the Harmony 1000 doesn't, but does allow extra 'pages' to be added via extra activities.

Have I missed any other major differences?

With the Harmony 1000 - on the 'devices' pages is it possible to change / customise the buttons that you see at all?

Is there a limit on the number or type of 'activities' you can setup?

Assuming that there is no way to customise the buttons on the Harmony 1000 in terms of numbers of them (hide / show) / layout or function - what is the advanatage of the Harmony 1000 over the other non-touch screen Harmonies? I would imagine that the whole advantage of a touch screen is the ability to customise the view you have of the butons - ie layout & numbers shown & on how many pages they are distributed over (rather than what the buttons actually look like). Would you not be just as well off by sticking to one of the cheaper hard button Harmonies? I just don't understand what the 1000 gives you that the other Harmonies don't, assuming you can't customise the views in any significant way.

& while I am trying to compare remotes, there seem to be just a vast choice of harmony hard buttoned remotes why would anyone choose the 890/895 over say a 550/555 if fundamentally they both offer the same level of creative control / flexibility in setup.

I am really not trying to put the Harmonies down - I am just struggling to understand thei advanatages & selling points vs a fullly customisable Touch screen (apart from cost obviously & the fact that some prefer hard buttons to touch screens). The main selling point to me of any Harmony vs competition seems to be teh online vast database of remote codes (this seems like a great concept) - & great if you have lost or damaged on existing remote (as I have) & require a universal remote with the best chance of having your equipment covered - but then the entry model Harmonies give you this, so why go any higher up the harmony ladder?
Regards,
Lawrence

Hosting Services by ipHouse