The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday October 5, 2006 at 12:59
vzvision
Lurking Member
October 2006
Sorry, I guess I just throw two different topic into one.. let me explain from beginning, hope this would clear up thing a bit more.

I have this chart with the following remote controls
Motorola DRC800
Scientific Atlanta AT8550
Philips RC144 (looks like it)
all three remotes were programmed to work with Motorola STB.
And since there are buttons that exist on one remote which doesn't exist on the other, I was hoping to find which buttons have similar code. For example, on the Motorola DRC800, there is a button label (PPV), but not on the SA and Philips remote controls. However, I was able to launch PPV using SA remote by pressing the "*" button. So in my table, I put SA's * button next to Motorola's PPV button to indicate the two have same code.

On October 2, 2006 at 17:32, johnsfine said...
IIUC, you want to use a specific remote to control something
on a PC.

Yes, that is the ultimate goal. But before I get to that part, I would like to keep a table of the code for each remote.

You have Irman (hardware and software I assume) that can
receive and decode some IR signals. It can decode the
Motorola signals. It can't decode the signals from the
remote you want to use. Is that right?

Yes, that is correct. When I use the Irman with my old Panasonic TV, I was able to read unique code (hex) for each individual button, but when I use the Motorola, SA or Philips control (all still in STB mode) with Irman, I got the same string of code (hex). And that is when I assumed these remote must be using different protocol or something unique that Irman won't understand it.

You're considering building and programming something
else to receive those signals?

But you don't have any information on what those signals
are?

Yes again :) I bought the parts listed in the LIRC website for serial port receivers and I would like to set it up so that I can just point the remote at the receiver, press a button ( say VOL+) and it will give me 13 or 0D (13 is the decimal and 0D is the hexadecimal) on the PC screen. I hope there are code/program out there would just give me this value instead of a long string of numbers (which I can also use, just that a long string of numbers tends to mess me up if I entered one digit incorrectly).

I use a program called CaptureIR (part of which I wrote
myself) that uses a simple IR detector conected to a PC
printer port to capture and decode IR signals. On a fast
PC it is more effective than a learning remote at capturing
an IR signal for analysis. But it is intended only for
analysis of IR signals. It is not suitable for control
purposes because it eats too large a share of the PC's
CPU capacity while running.

That is what I would like to do for step one, to get the signal/code for the remotes I have and enter them to my table.

I probably could give you some better advice on an IR
capture design if I had more of a clue of the purpose
and the constraints.

Thanks, really appreciate your help. As u can tell, I have little to no clue to this remote control world. At first, I though "come on, just a remote with 12k or 16k chip. how hard can it be?" I guess I am wrong, I can't even get the basic info down......

Hosting Services by ipHouse