Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday July 1, 2004 at 16:58
DeanM1
Lurking Member
June 2004
jarmstrong,

Thanks for the advice. I've tried the AntA+2*Input = Input1 and AntA+3*Input=Input2. It will work, but by the time you get all the delays in there, it is very slow and not very wife-friendly (who may not continue to point the remote at the system). On top of that you see the snowy picture coming from the AntA input for a bit, which is just not very pleasing.

I do eventually plan to setup a HTPC. Right now I have a Dell XPS system which has enough performance but is relatively loud w/ all the fans and such. I will eventually look into building a quiet PC from scratch (I've already replaced the sound card, ethernet card, and added an additional video card to this year old system, so I have some parts laying around!).

So... I'd rather not have the PC running just to switch inputs on the TV. It is looking more and more like I'll be purchasing a Xantech IRS232A... unless anyone has recomendations for another unit.

Update on progress: I learned all the buttons from the OEM remote -- all are device 1, 17, or 30. So it appears that my manual search for IR discretes is over -- they may not exist and I'm not willing to search manually through the other 29 possible devices (each with 256 codes). I have gotten a couple of spreadsheets from the Yahoo Crestron group that I will look into as soon as my ordered copy of Excel arrives (my old Excel 95 would not read them -- forcing me to upgrade).

I also intend on contacting Sharp about the issue and see if I can talk to anybody that knows what I'm asking about (I expect most of the customer service techs will not have a clue about discrete IR codes...)

Side Note: Amazingly stupid of Sharp to include ANTA/ANTB discretes on the remote, as if anyone in their right mind is going to watch TV/CBL from the RF ant inputs on their $4500 TV...

// Dean

Hosting Services by ipHouse