Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday September 8, 2006 at 22:14
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
The best place for a JP1 cable plus JP1 remote is from Rob at
[Link: hifi-remote.com]

The URC-8910 is a good choice.
There aren't good JP1 choices other than the 8910 at the moment. I personally prefer the 8811, but lots of people disagree with me about that and it's sold out at Rob's anyway. The 9960 costs a lot more and isn't as good. The 9910 is an 8910 with an RF repeater (to handle components that aren't line of sight). So 9910 is a good idea if you need that ability. Most of the other available JP1 remotes lack learning, so they're useful only if you know you can get the IR data for your upgrades some other way.

The JP1 upgrade for your Coby is posted at:
[Link: hifi-remote.com]

So once you have the remote, cable, and (free) software you can load that upgrade without worrying about details like NEC1, 0.159 (I included that info above to help and other experts who might comment. Without JP1 you can't use that info, and with JP1 and that posted upgrade you don't need that info).

I haven't checked for your FTA. It might also already have an upgrade built. If not, the 8910 can learn signals (about 1/3 as many as the 8820) and with JP1 you can decode the signals and turn them into upgrades, so the learning capacity doesn't really matter (just limits how many signals you can decode in one batch, then erase them and learn another batch).

All the same things work with the URC-8820 and JP1.2 cable. But that cable costs a little more than a JP1 cable and the experts in the JP1 forum don't yet have as much experience answering questions about JP1.2.

Last edited by johnsfine on September 8, 2006 22:22.

Hosting Services by ipHouse