The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Friday December 28, 2007 at 18:16
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
On December 28, 2007 at 18:07, SoCalAudioVideo said...
it but I couldn't figure out which of the numerous codes
I would generally use, and how to make the .irp files?

You wouldn't make a .irp file:
1) Select the correct .irp file
2) Edit it to change just the device number
3) Drag/drop the .irp file onto MakeHex.exe
4) Open (in a text editor) the resulting .hex file and copy out the Pronto Hex strings for the desired function(s).

Device numbers and function numbers used by MakeHex are decimal (even though the Pronto Hex strings are of course hex). Manufacturers more often give device and function numbers in hex. Use Windows calculator in view/scientific mode to convert hex numbers to decimal.

7F 4A (normal NEC IR code )

What Yamaha calls "normal NEC" is what I call "NEC1" so use NEC1.irp
The device is 127 (7F hex is 127 decimal)
The function is 74 (4A hex is 74 decimal)

7F01 4A (16bit custom NEC IR code - used in MusicCAST,

Still NEC1. Still function 74. Now the device is 127.1 (because my generic form for concise signal identification treats the 7F and the 01 as seperate parts of the device code rather than as one big number).

7F014A33 (32 bit nec code - currently not used in Yamaha
products)

That isn't NEC1. I haven't come up with a good MakeHex representation for those codes (used mainly by Apple, but never with the value 7F01).

The AA 1A is Pioneer's discrete off for a PDP-6010FD.

Pioneer's simple codes are NEC2 at a frequency of 40000 (instead of the usual NEC frequency of 38000). I forget whether there is an .irp file for that. If not, you could change the frequency in a copy of NEC2.irp.

Pioneer's more complicated codes (specified more than two 2-digit hex numbers) use one of a few Pioneer specific .irp files.

The AA is the device (170). The 1A is the function (26).
When there are more than two 2-digit hex numbers, knowing which Pioneer irp file it needs and where each of the numbers goes gets tricky. Usually it is easier to find the Pronto Hex on Pioneer's website. I have been told some of their employees used MakeHex to generate some of the Pronto Hex they have on that website.
I understand you want to translate when you don't have web access, but translating Pioneer signals will require learning some strange Pioneer specific details.

What I am looking for is a better understanding of how
to generate hex codes on my own and how to translate the
IR information available on Yamaha, Pioneer and other
vendors websites.

For other vendors, you should use DecodeIr.dll with IrTool or DecodeCCF to get the info you need for using MakeHex.
[Link: remotecentral.com]
[Link: hifi-remote.com]
[Link: hifi-remote.com]

First get some learned signals for the same device/model in a CCF file or in Pronto Hex. Then decode those with the above tools to get protocol name, device number, subdevice number (if any) and function (also called OBC) number.
Then put the function numbers you got from manufacturer documentation together with the other information you got from learned signals to produce Pronto Hex for whatever signals are missing from the original remote.

Last edited by johnsfine on December 28, 2007 18:33.

Hosting Services by ipHouse