The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday May 6, 2002 at 19:02
Sheik_Yerbouhti
Founding Member
April 2002
You might also want to read THIS thread, posted on 04/23/02 21:12.53 in this forum:
"Hardwired IR control versus IR emitters"
It should muddy up the water and have you thoroughly mired in indecision.

Black tape IS yucky, but you might try cutting pieces of matte-black contact paper to exactly cover your IR reciever windows. (??) If you block them at all.

I usually hate any extra whizbangs, but in your instance I think a disconnect/disable IR switch is a capital idea. If you tape the IR windows up then you're dead in the water if your IR repeating system goes down. With the switched IR you just open the cabinet doors until the IR system can be repaired.

At one point (for another purpose) I had thought of concealing a pin switch inside one of those magnetic cabinet latches so that when the telescopic part of the latch was bottomed out the switch would be in the open position. Since this would be a non-stock item you'd want to make up two so that you wouldn't be running around if it failed.

I have seen security switches built into hinges to detect/alert if sensitive cabinets are opened.

*****************************************************************************************************
What if one of your cabinet doors "just happened" (by design) to block your IR repeater's pickup when they were fully opened up?? It eliminates one more point of failure, and it's clean.
*****************************************************************************************************
According to Yamaha if all the equipment was made to do so you can "daisy-chain" their equipment together with as many as six devices. The manual for the RX-V1 shows a diagram. This means that you'd only have to see the IR receiver window of one (1) Yam device and the commands would be broadcast throughout the "network" to the other Yam devices. In perfect world the DVD player for instance, would just "ignore" any broadcast commands not specifically made for it.

Why did I bore you with daisy-chain trivia you probably already know ? Just to make the point that you might only have to link your repeater network to one of your Yamaha components, and then to all of your non-Yamaha pieces. Might save you on connecting blocks and stick on emitters.

BTW- After popular suggestion I opened up one of my older (out of warranty) pieces and mounted my emitter inside and it works great. There was enough room for it off to the side so the original receiver window still works. Exploratory micro-surgery is scheduled for the other victims.

Good Luck
You are transparent! I see many things;
I see plans within plans. The Spice must flow!

Hosting Services by ipHouse