The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Monday June 10, 2002 at 02:21
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Just feel a need to chime in here, guys -- without thinking, I plastered a Xantech Dinky Link on the front of a Sony plasma. After it had worked flawlessly for three or four days, I remembered it could have been a heck of a problem...

I had a problem with a dinky link on a Pioneer plasma; Xantech suggested the CFL Friendly table-top (291). It worked for every component, although the talkback LED still flickers, even when the room is dark, so this is NOT reflection of screen light.

The real kicker I had with a dinky link and a plasma happened when the link was on the ceiling four feet above the display. There was constant talkback LED chatter, but all commands went through except about 1/4 of the TiVo commands (figure THAT one out!). In trying to be sure that ambient light was not the culprit, I covered the dinky link with painter's blue masking tape. One layer reduced the amount of talkback, AND THE IR WENT RIGHT THROUGH THE BLUE TAPE. So what the heck -- I put on another layer of blue tape. The talkback LED went out, and the IR went right through TWO layers of blue tape.

For some reason, the TiVo still does not respond to a small percentage of commands relayed through that dinky link. Go figure.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse