Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday June 30, 2002 at 08:33
cmack
Long Time Member
May 2002
Here's another one.
I've got a 50" panasonic plasma 50phw3u and standard components well here's the list. Onkyo 797, Panasonic rp91, echostar 3900, pansonic vcr, sony cd, onkyo m282 for dist audio which is plugged into the back of the 797 switched outlet, and soon to be motorola digital cable with decoder. Also using the Monster Power HTS 2500.
The disappointment here is every image displayed. Th ebest being the DVD that's connected via component, then the sat connected via S-Video, then the VHS connected via composite. The sat and VHS are routed through the 797 while the DVD is connected directly to the plasma. ( didn't want to take the chance of any signal loss going through the Onkyo, although once the HD cable is added I won't have a choice but to use the component video switching of the 797. )
Back to connections, the component input of the plasma is BNC, I used BNC to RCA adapters to plug in standard RCA component video cables from the dvd.
My biggest complaint is that while watching Star Wars the Phantom Menace any scenes that are slow moving and the colors are light such as blues and whites primarily, the image is fuzzy. Not the entire picture, just where those colors are. It sucks. Now what's wierd is while playing a setup DVD by panasonic ( I realize this isn't choice software, what should I use ) the images looked much better, clean and sharp throughout the spectrum. Granted most images where still, but looked great. Even the blacks which Panasonic seems to be proud of and should be in my opinion.
Why is it that I get the fuzzy images in some scenes of a movie but yet the setup disc looked great. Is it the Recordings of the DVD's, or simply a setup issue??
Yes the progressive scan is turned on on the DVD player.
Speaking of setup, in the menu of the DVD setup the option for type of display is available ( which I assume is pretty standard for higher end dvd players ). There was no option for plasma. The choices were crt, lcd, direct view, rear projection. ( if I remember correctly ) Of those options the CRT was the best so that's where it is.
Hopefully this is thorough enough to aid with troubleshooting.
Thanks in advance,
CMack

Hosting Services by ipHouse