The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Friday June 14, 2002 at 10:37
Hector
Founding Member
April 2002
All these sensors will improve your chance of getting a sensor outside to work. Keep in mind the biggest problem installing any IR sensor outside is the sun. There are many natural sources of Infrared in the cosmos. It is a very difficult task to block these sources and still allow a relatively small signal pass. Your remote is powered by one or two 1.5 volt batteries and the sun is powered a thermonuclear reaction.

I heard of many successful installations but I have also heard of many installations with major problems. I’m sure there is a science to finding a good location outside to install a sensor but a trial-error process is probably the fast way to get the job done. Selecting the right sensor is also important. You must also consider the time of day and year when trying to find a quite spot.

In order to avoid these problems and get the job done quickly and reliably, you might want to install a keypad instead. You can sell it as a “feature”, not a compromise. Your customer will have not have bring a remote every time they outside.

I’m kind of partial to ELAN’s Z-100 but other manufacturers have similar products.

Good Luck.

Hosting Services by ipHouse