Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday July 14, 2002 at 08:07
cmo
Founding Member
April 2002
O.K. anyone wish to give me their thoughts on this one:

I was recently asked by a customer to give them a qoute / solution for their property.
"We want a basic 3 zone multiroom system for our newly finished property" they said, "the cables have already been put in place by our builder about a year ago, who has unfortunately recently died of a heart attack".

Sounds easy enough, so I arranged for a site visit.
I got to the house, recent building, very attractive.

They showed me to a small cupboard in a side room with a bunch of speaker cable resembling bell wire hanging out.
so 3 rooms = 3 pairs of speakers = hang on 5 cables?
first problem - the kitchen has only one cable going to it.
Of course the second problem was: No CAT5E cable to be seen anywhere, in fact where the hell are the mains sockets?
"Oh, the're in the next cupboard along came the reply"
"O.K." I replied "can I see the other rooms".

Kitchen - 1 single cable sticking out about 30cm down the wall.
"Is it possible to have an in-ceiling speaker in here?" they asked.

Living room - two cables (getting better) situated half way up the wall behind blanking plates hidden by a made to measure cupboard unit spanning up to the ceiling.

Bedroom - very nice room, big double bed facing a full wall wardrobe with two speaker cables coming out the floor! either side of the bed (head end).
Customer thought that they could have two little bookshelf speakers housed in a cabinet either side of the bed. Of course they didn't quite grasp the concept of the speakers facing the wrong direction and firing into the room away from their ears.

Any ideas??

On a simple note how do I get a mono signal with both left and right channels out of a stereo amplifier and send it down a single cable?

Thanks as usual.

Hosting Services by ipHouse