The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Wednesday March 27, 2002 at 00:51
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Let me weigh in with a hearty YES to everyone who builds a ccf so the customer needs to know two things:
1)touch the screen to turn it on and
2)when you are confused, GO HOME
Cheat sheets are usually too confusing. They are like written instructions, but a bit easier -- they take a long time to do properly, and they have no use once the customer learns the system.
As for the last response from Richard, that is not complaining. It is just insane that the manufacturers are so hard to contact to get good remote info from, and just unbelieveable that there are still so many toggle power and input commands, which keep us from making bulletproof ccfs.
I love the idea of instructions for special things; I have a couple of clients who are NOT gearheads and who often are away for weeks at a time, so explanatory panels, though a pain to make, save the day and can be easily used.
One thing I have just started paying attention to is to bend the customer's component choice to items with commands that lend themselves to being controlled by Pronto macros. For isntance, commands such as FUNCTION turning on power [Denon, Marantz], or PLAY turning on power [most DVDs, many VCRs] make ON macros possible and save the product from the power toggle problem. Another is lower price Yamahas responding to higher price Yamaha Tuner direct preset access, even though the lower price remote does not have the buttons.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse