The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Sunday August 4, 2002 at 14:40
Sheik_Yerbouhti
Founding Member
April 2002
Box vans are nice, but the smaller ones are nearly all built on domestic V-8 van chassis' and score poorly on fuel economy, and are hard to service. After 50,000 miles that engine cover is going to be coming off on a regular basis.

Also, you need to know exactly who's going to be driving it - if it's just you, you can (will) get used to the box van's tendency to overhang the curb a bit when parking or pulling up to a right turn in traffic. ~~ If you're going to let hired help drive it, then the mailboxes, curbside newspaper machines, (pedestrian's kneecaps?!) WILL FEEL THE WRATH.. eventually.

Ryder has some little import diesel boxvans with small dual tyres (for the Brits) on the back axle, which puts the deck height down lower for loading stuff. Besides the copious space in the back, that points up another advantage of a boxvan: Flat floor all the way to the front with no wheelwells.

Those little diesel tilt-cabs are easy to maintenance, almost never need maintenance, get excellent mileage, are extremely maneuverable, and as for comfort you'll think you're riding in a small import pickup, noise level and all.

I rented one for a week from Hertz/commercial and the first thing I did was turn it in a complete circle on a typical residential street which it did with no problems. This was probably a 10 to 12" box on a GM branded Izusu Turbo NPR which was quite a tidy package and parked anywhere. If I were shopping new I'd look at Hino or Mitsubishi Fuso chassis'.

I truly like the Stepvans but if you rent one of these import-based boxvans you'll never want to let go of it, and you'll be trying to find out when the next purge of fleet vehicles is coming up so you can get a used Ryder or some other rental company's used truck. Hey! Budget's on the ropes (bankruptcy filing), see if you can find one of their little trucks in a fire sale:

15 Foot Box Truck
Capacity: 3-4 rooms (1-2 bedrooms)
Cubic Feet: 790
Interior (L x W x H): 15' x 7' 6" x 6' 11"
Rear Door (H x W): 6' 5" x 7'1"
Payload: 2,580 - 3,000 lbs.
Features: Air Conditioning, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, AM/FM stereo, 37 gallon gas/diesel tank, walk ramps and lift-gates available, no wheel wells

(A 15' van-body on a cabover chassis is roughly the length of a Ford Excursion.)
You are transparent! I see many things;
I see plans within plans. The Spice must flow!

Hosting Services by ipHouse