The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Monday September 23, 2002 at 21:35
CarlSr.
Founding Member
November 2001
WOW! I actually might get to help the pros....

Had Starband installed in my home in NoVA for about 9 months. Used 802.11B since it was a rental and did not have hardwire.

Definitely a solution of last resort. I would never recommend it unless your customer couldn't get broadband any other way. Fairly expensive since back then and maybe still you have to buy a Compaq PC with internal modem (they quit selling the hardware modem by itself because of firmware issues.) Their corp. HQ was in NoVA so I got to talk to and know a couple of real people that worked there.

Also, there is a big problem between MSN and Starband in terms of tech support. Their techs did not know how to add a network card to the dual card/sat modem model that was sold by RadioShack and they don't really support networking. I solved the problem and gave detailed instructions to Starband tech support. All told I wasted about 15 hours on the phone to solve issues that I shouldn't have had to.

VERY unreliable service (their servers and transponders) not to mention when it storms. I would not do it again, unless I was desperate. HTH-Carl

Hosting Services by ipHouse