Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Sunday September 22, 2002 at 21:49
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
It's 2 cents time:

First of all, I can only speak for myself. We each feel the way we feel. To be told to keep it to ourselves is repressive, and to name-call people with differing opinions is simply immature.

My view is that the only people who have a direct effect on your income are those who buy their own parts and then ask you to install them. Either just say no, or give them a price that will satisfy you if they say yes. Nobody gets every job.

Maybe, in the abstract, sharing "trade secrets" could be seen as a financial problem. To me, it's no secret that professionals (are supposed to) get a better price than the do-it-yourselfer.

As an electrician and general contractor, I get a 20% markup on materials, and I buy most of mine at Lowe's or Home Depot. Why? Convenience. There everywhere when I need them.

In the real world, unless the guy you're helping here just asked you for a bid on work, and then came here looking to circumvent you, chill out! Like Echo, I assist people all the time in the store, over the phone, and with my "Ask the Electrician" link on my site.

Occasionally, it turns into a job. Usually not. I don't do it for the money. I like to help and teach others. It's fun. That's why I do what I do. It sounds like some of you here see your work as more of a chore than it should be. I bet it was fun when you started.

I'm all typed out. I had a long day today. Yes, I work on Sunday. We just installed X-10-controlled exterior lighting in my brother's house. I will get paid, but not as much as I would on a retail job. I can live with that. I had fun.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse