The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Sunday September 22, 2002 at 13:13
CarlSr.
Founding Member
November 2001
I suspected that some people who are custom installers might think that there was a problem posting answers to my question.

To answer your question about what I do for a living, I am in the executive placement right now, but I have been in the custom IT business. My company (that I founded) supplied turn-key point of sale solutions for the restaurant industry. We provided hardware and software. So I have some intimate familiarity with the downward pressure being applied by customers who could buy things wholesale.

In the case of my question, I think it is a bit different.

First, I will thank all who offered help again, THANKS much guys.

Second, I posted VERY plainly that I was not a professional, but have professional abilities (to a lesser degree than most of you, obviously) so that those who chose to answer would know who and what they were dealing with. I could easily have pretended to be something I am not.

Third, I am resourceful enough to know how to READ and SEARCH all of the posts here to gather information needed to make intelligent decisions about the correct parts and manufacturers. I am also resourceful enough to know how to use a business license and tax ID to buy from whomever I need to. I just thought that most the people here would be nice enough to save me a WHOLE lot of time and energy by answering a direct question.

Fourth, I realize that my worth and my companies worth in the IT arena as well as the worth of most of the installers here is their knowledge, problem solving ability, and professionalism. It is not dependent on the small markup that they make in the difference from wholesale to retail, or warehouse discount center.

Have you heard of FRY'S? You can buy LOTS of cheap computer parts there. Was I scared to offer that name up to customer's who asked me, no. Most don't have the knowledge to buy what they need to get the job done, much less design an appropriate solution. Most of the guys here could pound me in the dust with their knowledge, but some couldn't. I did a whole-house stereo install for my Dad some years ago using Niles gear, so I have a bit of talent.

The job that I am doing is really small, and there is no way that I would ever hire a pro to do it. Not even sure if any of y'all are in Atlanta. I have been posting on this site for about 3 years. I believe that my profile here contains my email address, but anyone that thought they were "giving away the store" could easily have asked and sent the info via private communication.

If you and Shoe were trying to imply that I did anything wrong in asking the question, or that anyone who answered did something wrong, I think you don't value your collective skills enough, and you are just plain wrong. I respect the job y'all have, in fact I really enjoy dabbling in it myself. I have a Pronto, which is pretty freakin' tricked out, I have X10 controls, and a boat load of HT gear. I bought it, installed it, programmed it, and maintain it all myself.

I appreciate your concern, but I'm no threat. Peace - Carl

Hosting Services by ipHouse