The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday October 24, 2002 at 12:05
emillika
Long Time Member
October 2002
I am strongly interested in getting into the Home Theater/Home Automation business here in Chicago. I have 12 years experience in Fortune 100 Information Techology shops doing things from network admistration and design to operations management and project management. While I make a decent living I am at the point in my life where I want to build something and have more contol over my future. I currently work full-time for the company that "Brings good things to life" and I attend graduate school at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL on Saturdays.

There seem to be three possible ways to get started....

1. Open a franchise.
2. Work with an successful existing company that wants to add Chicago to it's reach.
3. Start on my own and slowly develop a list of clients, referrals and know-how.

Option number 2 is the most attractive to me. How reasonable is it to expect this type of business relationship? Are business owners looking for these types of arrangements? I would love to have a business mentor/partner to assist in getting a shop up and running. There would be some type of sharing of the start-up expense, equity split and income split. Does anyone have any ideas on how to setup a fair partnership of this type?

I can open a franchise for about $150-200k. I will probably visit some of these franchises in the near future to see their retail format.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I love keeping up-to-date on RC.com but I was wondering if there is a forum for installers that focuses on all things home theater vs. remote control focused.

Thanks.

Elmer

Hosting Services by ipHouse