Original thread:
Post 11 made on Monday December 2, 2002 at 13:38
Dave Goodfellow
Founding Member
March 2002
Jack,

My system comprises

Arcam DV88 via S-VHS
Grundig UK Satellite Box via S-VHS (not sky plus)
Panasonic Video via Composite
Denon Amp to switch all the video and audio
Toshiba TV

Plus some other stuff.

The TV is 5 meters from the rack of kit, the cables are then ran in conduit under the floor to the TV. I run an S-VHS and composite cable. The S-VHS and composite cables are about 7.5m long.

In my set-up there is a huge difference in the quality of S-VHS versus composite in the favour of S-VHS. I can watch the Sky box via either composite or S-VHS and the difference is well worth the money. I think the three s-VHS leads cost around £250 and it was worth it.

I couldn't/wouldn't go to component due to the volume of cables and chasing out a concrete floor. I also have to run 3 speaker cables(Front-L, Center, Front-R) and Subwoofer input through the floor.

Also my local AV-Supplier advised against component due to the cable length. He informed S-VHS would give a better result than component over this length unless I was willing to put in very fat cables. He reckons S-VHS is a more robust method over longer distances.

I am sure some folk here will hang me for the above comment but I don't care.

I found it to be worth it, however that does not mean to say every system will notice the difference. Even my wife could see the difference without me pointing t out.

The words 'Has that new cable really made that much difference to the picture' still ring in ears.

Is it worth re-wiring, well that depends on the effort involved. Mine required me to chase out a concrete floor, lay conduit into the floor. Order custom length cables, wait for delivery, pay £250, fit cables, relay floor on top. Yes it was worth it, but I like that DIY thing.

If everything is in one pile and you just have to play with the sphagetti behind it then yes.

Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse