The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Tuesday December 10, 2002 at 21:49
LoVoltage
Lurking Member
December 2002
Coaxial Digital Audio cables are spec'd to a 75ohm coaxial cable. RG-6 can be utilized for this purpose with excellent results. I have done it many times, with no loss of bitstream data, for as long as 300 feet. I always use Quad shielded cable, but you should be able to achieve good results with tri shield for the distance you are running. Another option i would check into though, would be to ditch the Composite video. Especially if you have a cat-5 or 5e cable run between the locations. you can convert a video signal to twisted pair, and get to the display this way, for a far superior signal. (by the way, this conversion only uses 1 pair in a cat-5.)

also, think this way...

cat 5 has 4 pair right?

well, the cat 5 converters that i am referring to have a 75 ohm impedence, and tons of bandwidth...

composite video, coaxial digital, and COMPONENT video run on 75 ohm cabling...

SO.........

1 pair = the "Y" signal on component video (green)
1 pair = the "Pb/Cb" signal (Blue)
1 pair = the "Pr/Cr" signal (Red)
1 pair = the Coaxial Digital Audio signal

therefore, on 1 cat5 cable, you can run a component spread, with digital audio, using 4 pairs of composite to tp baluns.

HOWEVER, I have yet to have needed to try this with HD signals, and I don't think the baluns would pass that kind of bandwidth.

Another option if you do not have a cat5 cable there, is to use a composite to s-video converter at the plasma. These blauns do work, and those from "Ultralink" and "Monster" work well. others are available, but some lesser end models tend to give substandard results. I use mostly the ultralink models, inexpensive, and they work excellent.

If you need further assistance, feel free to email me at [email protected] or send me an IM through Messenger (windows XP, or MSN) at the same address...

hope this helps you out.

LoVoltage

Hosting Services by ipHouse