The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 73 made on Tuesday December 24, 2002 at 23:22
sndtowne
Long Time Member
December 2002
It is a lesson I have to learn over again every few years. And that is: The customer who beats you to death over the price, is ALWAYS the customer who has the most problems with (your) equipment (as he refers to it) and also generates the most unbillable service calls.

I don't know why it is this way, but it is. Perhaps it is a personality trait ingrained in this type of customer.

I had a customer tell me this week that he had found the $599 Yamaha receiver in my $2500.00 surround system proposal for $40.00 less at a dealer (Tweeter) 300 miles away and wanted me to match their price. He also kept saying that their "Dallas" speakers were cheaper than the Paradigm speakers in my proposal.

(I finally questioned him about the "Dallas" speakers and had to smile when his wife told him - 'no dear, the name was Boston'. He did not get the model numbers so I could make no comparisons.)

I reminded him about the services we offered and the time I had already spent with him in demos and education. I gently informed him that my prices are not based on what other dealers are offering. I asked him if Tweeter, 300 miles away, was going to travel here and connect and calibrate his system, and be responsible for service. He answered no, but still insisted that I match the Tweeter price - so, I nicely told him I would like to withdraw my proposal and decline the job. I walked away from this job, and I felt good about it. I had met this (type of) customer (personality) before and knew I would never satisify him.

You know, I fully believe that customers have a right to purchase equipment anywhere they choose. But don't come into my store and take up hours of my time getting educated and asking for demos and advice and then shop my proposal to a dealer in another city who offers nothing but price (since they won't have to install or service the equipment). Better to let those customers go and avoid the headaches to come.

It is also true that the customer to whom we give a $20-30K proposal, and who accepts it and is happy to do business with us - seldom ever has any real problems.

This message was edited by sndtowne on 12/25/02 16:17.08.

Hosting Services by ipHouse