Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 67 made on Sunday December 15, 2002 at 21:38
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
Actually, you're both right, but....

As with most relationships, personal or business, both parties must feel that they are benefitting from the transaction, or one or the other feels taken. Customers don't owe us anything until we perform, and the chance to do so is indeed a "favor" to us.

Keep in mind the other golden rule; the one that says that the one with the gold rules. We go to work for the money, which is a convenient way of bartering without having to find someone who needs our services and who also does or has what we need at the moment.

We have to keep up the appearance that we're grateful to them for choosing us. We often harbor thoughts we would never say out loud to the customer. We smile when we feel like scowling, and say "thank you" when we feel like cursing.

Why? Because the customer could easily have chosen a competitor, and there are plenty of them who are willing to grovel in a humble manner. My inner peace (my "wa") is serene enough that I can keep my grumpy thoughts to myself and be polite and gracious.

I do feel like the customer is doing me a favor, and I'm perfectly happy to express it to them. This attitude often leads to repeat and referred business, and even the occasional tip. I enjoy my profession, and rarely consider it to be real work, but I don't have to let them know that. Let them keep thinking that I'm just conscientious.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse